- Maintain Peace Among Yourselves
- 1 “Always insist on peace. If there is fighting among yourselves, discord will erupt in the world.
- 2 Do not create vengeful energy within others. Consider the world’s people as one family. Grains of sand cannot be joined together without something that binds them.
- 3 Mind what you say. If three of you come together and mark someone as dead, the person really will die.
- 4 Many people have searched extensively for the place upon which the star of good fortune shines, but it is not far away.
- 5 The star of good fortune shines on those who cultivate themselves with virtue and treat others well. This is the way to avoid calamity.”
- 6 In a work of renewal, Sahng-jeh-nim wrote:
- 德懋耳鳴 過懲鼻息
- Striving for virtue
should be like sound in your ears.
Correcting your wrongdoings
should be like breathing through your nose.
- Gently Stroke the Hand of the Assailant
- 7 “Do not harbor resentment, even if you are struck during a dispute. Instead, gently stroke the hand of the assailant and console that person.
- 8 Work hard at forgiving others. It carries unlimited virtue.
- 9 Forgive your enemies and love them as if they were your benefactors. This will be your virtue, and you will receive great blessings.
- 10 Paying back evil with evil is like washing off blood with blood.”
- Difficult to Live with Transgressions
- 11 “It is difficult to live when you have transgressed.
- 12 Happiness is found only in the places where all transgressions have been cleared away.
- 13 Tell Me, earnestly, what wrongs you have done.
- 14 I will forgive each and every one of them. Reforming a fault is the same as having no fault.
- 15 Whenever and wherever you pray to Me with utmost sincerity, I will accept your prayers.”
- (JSD Dojeon 8,23)