- Sahng-jeh-nim Retrieves the Soul of a Drowned Person
- 1 One day, Sahng-jeh-nim took Hyung-yul and Ho-yun to the foot of a waterfall at Geum-sahn Temple and there conducted a work of renewal.
- 2 After a time, they heard a girl sobbing sadly somewhere and calling out, “Brother, older brother . . . .”
- 3 Hyung-yul shouted out, “Who is there, calling out for her brother?”
- 4 “Her older brother fell into the water, and she wants him to answer so she can tell if he somehow survived,” Ho-yun told him.
- 5 “That is not correct,” Sahng-jeh-nim said.
“Then who’s that girl?” Ho-yun asked.
- 6 Sahng-jeh-nim explained, “Someone who drowned after falling headfirst into the water. She is mournfully calling out for her older brother.”
- 7 Sahng-jeh-nim performed memorial rites with a food offering and gave a royal decree to the spirits to retrieve the soul of the sister.
- (JSD Dojeon 9,43)